Client Handbook: Getting Ready For Your Conference
- Make sure you know exactly where you are to appear, and arrive on time.
- Be sure to bring whatever mail you have received from Domestic Relations with you when you come to the office.
- Know and understand the reasons why you are there, and be prepared to tell Domestic Relations staff exactly what you are asking for.
- Always be honest. Failing to tell the truth is a crime, and could cause the Domestic Relations staff to doubt your truthfulness in general.
- Although these matters may be very upsetting to you, focus your attention on the purpose of your appearance. Present the facts as you know them. Remember, staff members are here to serve both parties, and are trying to do what is in the best interest of all.
- Bring all information with you that will help to prove your position (receipts, bills, income information, etc.).
- Bring all completed forms and all papers and letters which the court may have sent you in advance.
- Make two (2) copies of all materials you bring with you. One copy will be for the Domestic Relations files and one copy for the other party.
- Always keep a file or special envelope with all your records.