Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

This page will contain all the FAQs on the site. If you do not see your specific question, please feel free to contact us.


How can I obtain an application for the Public Defender? 

You may obtain an application for the Public Defender by requesting one from the District Justice where your Preliminary Hearing will be held.

Does the Public Defender have anything to do with the Work Release Program or the House Arrest Program?

No, the Work Release Program is handled by the Mifflin County Prison and the House Arrest Program is handled by the Mifflin County Probation Department.  Forms for these Programs can be obtained from the appropriate department.  Any questions that you many have about these programs should also be directed to the appropriate department.

Does the Public Defender represent defendants in support court?

No, because support actions are civil as opposed to criminal and the Public Defender does not represent defendants in civil actions, with the exception that the Public Defender does represent defendants in Protection from Abuse Contempt proceedings.

Can the Public Defender represent me in Divorce, Custody, and PFA (initial filing) and other civil matters?

The Public Defender's Office only represents criminal defendants who have been charged with a Misdemeanor or a Felony or those who are facing criminal penalities such as when a defendant is in violation of a PFA Order.

How do I qualify for the services of the Public Defender?

Those who earn less than $20,000.00 per year generally qualify.

Copyright © 2015 Mifflin County - All Rights Reserved.
Site hosted and developed by CCAP