Instructions for Public Defender Application
It is the responsibility of the Office of Public Defender to provide free legal representation for any person charged with a criminal matter in Mifflin County, who, for lack of funds, is unable to afford an attorney. You may be eligible for services.
To apply for services, you must complete the attached application. Please mail or submit in person your completed application and appropriate verifications to the:
Mifflin County Public Defender’s Office
5 North Dorcas Street
Once your application has been processed, you will be notified as promptly as possible as to whether your application is approved or denied. Your application must be received at least ten (10) business days before your scheduled hearing.
You should have available the following financial information in the event the office has questions regarding your application.
1. Last four (4) pay stubs; or
2. Unemployment card and statement; or
3. Department of Public Welfare ACCESS Card; or
4. A copy of your most recent Federal Income Tax Return;
5. If you can be or are claimed as a dependent by another person for Federal Income Tax purposes, written verification of financial information must be provided for that person.
Failure to comply with these instructions will cause delay in processing your application or denial of your application.